Saturday, January 26, 2008

Winter's Tale Book




Just joined the TJBookarts weekly challenge over on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/groups/tjbookarts/



Every week, a new theme is posted, and anyone who wants to take part (whether you are an expert bookbinder/book artist, or an enthusiastic amatur, or somewhere in between) makes a book that in some way reflects that theme. Cool, eh?



This week' s theme is "Winter." I dipped into my "Drawer of Mysteries" (the place where I keep bits of paper I love but haven't found a use for yet), and used some of the contents to make this book. The covers are made from a maroon Canal paper, and a paper I made myself from moss and tiger lilies. The inside paper is a snowy-white mulberry paper. The binding is hemp cord. The title of the book is "A Winter's Tale" typed on mulberry paper with my trusty old (early 1900s) Remington portable typewriter. I called it that, because the book (to me) represents an entire winter--the first page (with the moss and flowers on a white background) is the beginning of winter, when things are first beginning to be covered by snow; the middle section, pure white paper, is the rest of winter; and the last page (moss and flowers again) is the beginning of spring, when the snow melts and reveals what was underneath.

2 comments:

Carol said...

I've just found your blog via My Handbound Books blog and I wanted to say how much I like your Winter's Tale book. The handmade paper, which I think you made yourself is really beautiful. All the best, Carol
www.barnaclegoosepaperworks.blogspot.com

moonandhare said...

Thanks, Carol. I made the paper for the first and last pages of the book, from cotton linter and moss and tiger lilies that I gathered from my garden here in Kamloops, BC. The white paper is a Thai mulberry paper, and the covers are Canal paper made by Papeterie Saint-Armand in Quebec.