Monday, August 9, 2010

Small Universe



This is my latest coptic stitch book with wooden covers (you can see some others here). I'm working on a series of books that are interpretations of random designs that I find in nature. The cover of this book is based on a pattern of naturally occurring lines in a piece of mica. The name of this book is "Small Universe".


This was the first time I'd worked with milk paint -- lots of layers of colour, then working my way down through them to reveal the design.

11 comments:

india flint said...

this is a beautiful book. thanks for swinging by my pages
best wishes
india

The Book Hut said...

This is really beautiful, I love the colours. It looks almost war-like!

Velma Bolyard said...

very very nice. jim+you=a perfect book! i like your small universe.

Velma Bolyard said...

i don't know if my comment went through or not, but i wanted to say how fine this book is. i like how the milk paint interacts with the wood and the incising. very nice!

buechertiger said...

It is beautiful! Does it have content or is it blank?

moonandhare said...

The pages are blank-- a combination of handmade papers and Zerkall Frankfurt paper. I think it as something that could be written in, or just enjoyed as a piece of book sculpture.

Cynthia Schelzig said...

What an outstanding book...amazingly present and beautiful.
Cynthia Schelzig

Velma Bolyard said...

hey, barbara, will you be putting this book in your shop?

moonandhare said...

Hi Velma, thanks for all your kind comments! Maybe one of these days I'll put it in my shop. I'm (slowly) working on a series of coptic books, so I'm keeping it around for now to refer to while I work on the other books.

Velma Bolyard said...

yep, that'a how i work, too. i always need exemplars to refer to.

Carol said...

Love this one, Barbara, and especially like the idea of milk paint on the wood.