Saturday, February 7, 2009

What's old is new


I've been creating some replicas of medieval bindings lately, and one thing that struck me about them is how old, and yet somehow "modern" many of them are in design, with their simple, clean lines.
So I've been playing around with using other elements for the covers, including more dramatic colours, and vintage buttons from the 1940s - 1970s. I really like the mix of medieval and and modern elements--kind of a very short history of design, all in one book cover :)
Here, for example, is a little red notebook I just finished. It has a green button from my button stash that I'm guessing is 1960s vintage.

5 comments:

Waterrose said...

Wow I love the whole package...it all looks so great together.

Suze said...

Wonderful. I think this is my favourite...a beautiful work of art.

moonandhare said...

Glad you like it! :)

I think I'm entering into a "button phase" for sure. I remember when I was little, my mom had a big jar full of wonderful old buttons. Hmmm...I wonder where those went to.

Suze said...

I brought my Mum's button jars home the other day and emptied them out all over the floor...I had great fun. I plan to use some to make button and wire hearts.

Anyway...I liked your journal so much, I've ummm....just bought it. :)

moonandhare said...

Hey, that's great, Su! :) I only have one other button like the one on the cover, so (unless by some miracle I find another stash somewhere) you will own one of the only two notebooks like that that will ever exist. :D