Thursday, January 8, 2009

New Leather

In a previous post, I told you about the fab leather stash I bought from a retiring bookbinder. Alas, that leather is dwindling away, so it was time to find a regular supplier for my leather bookbinding needs.

It wasn't easy--I sampled some Ebay leather suppliers, but the quality wasn't consistant. Some of it was great, some I wound up not using because it was kinda crappy. Finally, I found a supplier that has proper leather--the kind that has that great leather smell (I grew up on a ranch, so the smell of good leather always evokes saddles, and horses--I was totally in love with horses, not in a scary Equus way, but in a horse-crazy girl kind of way....but I digress....), and feels strong, but soft, and has really nice texture. Here is a photo of my latest order-- black, golden brown, and walnut brown :

4 comments:

DangAndBlast! said...

Mmm pretty. Do your leather-supplier a favor and list the name here? I got the only leather suppliers I've truly enjoyed both cost and quality from recommendations from other people (sadly, that was years and years ago -- haven't bought any online since! -- and they've both stopped).

Kim said...

Yes please, do! I too seek the right leather...

Suusi said...

I love that light brown...man that is pretty!

moonandhare said...

dang and kim, I'm happy to share the name of the leather supplier--it's Hide House-- www.hidehouse.com

I've only ordered a few hides from them, but the quality has been great so far...