Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Takin' a Little Break

I'm going to be closing my Etsy shop for a couple of weeks. Between tomorrow and April 7th, I'm going to spend some time resting and recharging. I'm also going to overhaul my bookbinding studio. The ripped, vinyl wallpaper is going out! The old white carpet is going, too! My husband and I live in a wonderful old house (built in 1922), and I can't wait to see the lovely hardwood that's hiding under that white carpeting. We moved in just over a year ago, and have been slowly painting rooms and doing some fixing of things.

Right now, my studio is a bit of a rat's nest--I have a hard time getting rid of things ("....but, I might NEED that two-inch piece of hemp cord someday..."), and I have a tendency to stuff things I'm not currently using under various work tables and in the closet without any real organizing principle at all.


The sad reality:





Note the massively overflowing waste basket under tall table :(

This may just be a long moment of self-delusion, but once I have repainted and un-carpeted the studio, I'm also going to add more shelves, and maybe, just maybe, create one of those supremely serene, organized artist's studios like the ones you see in magazines. Or not.

Now, this is what my studio SHOULD look like (sigh):


It's the studio of artist Veda Stanfield, who creates amazing paintings of the natural world. She describes her work as "haunted realism". I love her work--it really gets at some undefinable quality about living in the country (I grew up on a farm).

How about you? Is your studio/creative space everything you dreamed of? Or more of a nightmare? :)

14 comments:

Chris O'Byrne said...

My studio is the MacBook in my lap... always pristine! :)

moonandhare said...

Lucky you! I just keep stuffing more and more things into my studio space. Ah, to have a virtual studio....

Sarah said...

Ooo its sounds like your studio will be lovely when its done, shelves, shelves and more shelves sounds like the answer! (and I'm totally empathizing with the hemp cord thing, try the 30 toilet roll middles I found at the back of my cupboard, or my entire draw of guillotine off cuts...)

At the moment my studio is the living room table, and it oscillates between very tidy and very messy indeed!

moonandhare said...

"...try the 30 toilet roll middles I found at the back of my cupboard"

Oh, that gave me a good laugh! I'm starting to feel better about the state of my cupboards. A very little better.

Waterrose said...

Good luck, rest and enjoy creating your space!

BWK Art said...

Mine's a little bit in between a dream and a nightmare. ;)

I have a study upstairs with an extra desk in a corner for cutting my leather, but otherwise, I do most of my bookbinding work at the coffee table in the livingroom.

Dana and Daisy said...

I hope you post before and after pics. A cleaned up and refreshed space will be an inspiration to you!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Deborah Lambson said...

Don't we all want an artist studio like that? great link! Your studio sounds like its in for a fantastic makeover..have fun :)

Unknown said...

My studio space is non-existent. I haven't made a book in over a year now, I think. Pretty depressing. In addition to a lack of space, I fault a lack of time. Hoping to recharge and get inspired (to make the time, and a few books) soon. Hope your time off has been productive. I look forward to seeing what you bind, when you're back!

Judith HeartSong said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Judith HeartSong said...

I love my studio:)

This is the first time I have ever had a dedicated space. Not a lot of room but I keep it pretty well organized in between paintings and have several work areas for different projects. (I do have a corner that is totally out of control with boxes right this minute that I want to save to ship things in...... but the clutter is driving me crazy.)

I can't wait to see what you do with your space.... it has good bones already! Oh, and the artist's studio in the image! I visited her site and she has a cottage to paint in. Imagine that. Thanks for the link to her page.

I Dig This Life said...

my room is a work in progress sometimes it looks like this

http://www.flickr.com/photos/torann/2380771586/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/torann/2379935191/in/photostream/

But I kinda attacked the room tonight and now there is rolls and roll of paper and canvas and everything basicly on the floor so I would love a room where I could make a mess but somehow it stays tidy :)

moonandhare said...

Thanks for all your comments! It's great to hear about your spaces. I'll definitely post some pics of the new and improved studio when it's done.