Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Not So Buttoned Up



The other day I bought some vintage buttons--according to the information that came with them, they were found in storage in the Soho district of New York City. Some were made in the US, and some imported from Italy and Holland.

I'm not a button expert, but most of them look to me like they are 1940s-1960s-vintage. I'm going to play around with using them on my leather journal/sketchbooks. There are lots of interesting shapes and colours of buttons--tortoiseshell, and sea green, and bold black/white, and some colours I can't really even describe-- so it should be fun to see how they come out.

Here are a couple of pictures of the buttons. I'm storing them in a box from Korea that my husband gave me--it has four little drawers that seemed just right for vintage button storage.

I remember there was a jar of old buttons around our house when I was a kid, and I loved to pour them out of the jar and examine them, turning them over in my hands. I've always found buttons kind of fascinating, although I can't say exactly why.

1 comment:

Devonia said...

Fascination with buttons: When I was a child, my g'mother's button box (an old tin) was my favorite toy when visiting her at the old farm place. I would sort the buttons and play "bank" or "store" and any other game i could think of with the buttons. I loved them then and still.... Great Blog!