Friday, November 20, 2009

New Quote Journals

I designed a few new leather journals with quotes this week for my Etsy store. It's always fun to dig through my collection of quotes and clip art, plus the Oxford Dictionary of Quotes, and the Riverside Shakespeare, and ok, it's an excuse to sit and leaf through some of my favourite novels, too. I'm a sucker for those fat Victorian novels. There's nothing like spending an evening drinking tea and reading about the romantic and other entanglements of men with stiff collars and women in enormous dresses.

Speaking of which, one of my new designs is a Reader's Journal (pictured below), for people who share my addiction to books. It has a photo of a Victorian woman (in the aforementioned sort of dress) reading a book, along with a quote by Louise May Alcott:

"She is too fond of books,
and it has turned her brain."

That quote always makes me laugh, probably because it describes me too well....

I made another leather journal with a lovely poem by e e cummings:

"Here is the deepest secret nobody knows
(here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud
and the sky of the sky of a tree called life; which grows
higher than soul can hope or mind can hide)
and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart
i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart)"


And a nature journal with a quote by John Muir:



And finally, a journal with a quote by Leonardo da Vinci ("The smallest feline is a masterpiece"), plus his sketch (not the original, alas) of a sleeping cat:


6 comments:

Acornmoon said...

I love the way you have incorporated the quotes into your books, I especially relate to the one about fondness for book!

Carol said...

These journals are lovely and your first pages are inspirational. Wonderful use of illustration and quotes.

Carol said...

Lovely books. I wish you all the best for Christmas and may the new year be all you wish for. Carol

Thor said...

Hello, I just got one of your books as a gift and I really really love it. Throughout the years of my own schooling I have gathered about 100 quotes of my own. I was wondering if we could collaborate on a quote book. I would like to chat further on e-mail to see what you think and maybe in the New Year talk in depth about it. I live in Kamloops and would like some time after to discuss face to face. I had to join this blogger website to get in contact, therefore there is no details or information about me on this. Besides e-mail, another form of contact is via facebook. Just some quick things about who I am. I have 2 degrees, one in Philosophy and another in Film Studies. I'm working towards getting into a degree program for writing. I hope to hear from you and I your holidays are joyful and your new year happy.

moonandhare said...

Hi Thor, thanks for your message. I used to do more graphic design stuff, but now I'm focused mostly on doing bookbinding, except for doing quotes/photos on the first page of my journals. If you'd like to do the graphic design for your quote book, or have someone do it for you, I'd be happy to talk about binding it for you. You can email me at moonbindery(at)gmail(dot)com.

Waterrose said...

My son and son-in-law both love their journals! Thanks so much and adding the quotes were perfect and the ones I chose fit them each to a T.... Happy New Year!