Sunday, February 10, 2008

New Longstitch Journals


Dipped into my Keith Smith book again, and made the three longstitch journals you see here to put in my Etsy shop. I have a shameful confession to make--I find Keith Smith a little hard to follow :/ Maybe it's just me, but I find the directions and the diagrams don't always work together.


So I did what I usually do, which is find two or three sets of directions for a particular binding style, and between looking at all of them, I can usually get my questions answered and come out with a good binding. And sometimes I come up with my own, slightly different variation on a binding style.


I think that's a good thing, actually. I've found that most binders have their own ways of doing things, so each binder's books have a certain "signiture" character that reflects the materials they choose to use, and their own their particular style. That's one reason why handmade books aren't boring!

2 comments:

Carol said...

No, it's not just you! Keith Smith's instructions are wonderful but so very complex that I find if I lose concentration for a minute I just about have to start over. Very satisfying when finally achieved though, and your books look great.

moonandhare said...

Carol, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who gets lost! Sometimes I get so confused, I just have to go away for a minute and have some medicinal chocolate. The books really are worth the effort, though.